[CST-2] "Model Answers" (was: Security: 2000 P9 Q6)

Nathan Dimmock ned21-cst2@srcf.ucam.org
Tue, 29 May 2001 23:39:00 +0100

On Tue, May 29, 2001 , Sapna Jethwa wrote:
> not to mention the number of "model answers" that are wrong too...

I think this is why the "Solution notes/marking schemes" available from Lise
were not available for so long. The Lab are quite keen to stress that they
are *not* model answers, and the quality of these pieces of paper varies
significently from course to course and even from year to year. In my
(albeit limited) experience, the stuff from more recent years seems to be
much better - I suspect they are trying to build up a decent repository, but
for older questions, suitable material simply doesn't exist. :-(

Those of a cynical disposition might say that the lack of real model answers
is to allow Lab members to make a bit of extra money by giving lots of
supervisions. I suspect the real reason is more like that the Lab do not
believe model answers are an effective method of teaching a subject. There
may be other reasons - a search of the CL website yields quite a few links
on the subject (the first dating from 1995).

Regards,
--
Nathan                 Jesus College, Cambridge, CB5 8BL
                       http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~ned21/