[Union] Election manifestos

Alasdair Ross aer41 at cam.ac.uk
07 Mar 2005 08:58:28 +0000

Dear Members,

Here is a list of mini manifestos with a link to full manifestos for all=20
candidates standing in the Union election this week:

Elections page: www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05

FOR PRESIDENT:

JENNI SCOTT

As Treasurer, I have not only fulfilled my duties to acquire sponsorship bu=
have also expanded the role to bring you discounts across Cambridge. My
dedication to the building, events and members is unfailing, and that
dedication will continue as President. I will pursue a long-term strategy
for the Union, by promoting development, pushing for online voting and
ensuring effective internal structures through goals and quotas for those o=
elected committees. Not ignoring the present, I shall introduce round table
discussions, in addition to bringing big names, great ents and important
debates that cater for every taste.

Dedicated. Active. Honest.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dscott

ADAM SWERSKY

The Union is amazing, but it could be so much more.

I'll revamp the bar, the only central student bar in Cambridge - while
raising thousands from alumni to improve the building and boost the ents
budget.

I'll slash the membership fee for those who can't afford it. The Union
should be for everyone, regardless of wealth.

I'll push for online voting to make elections fairer.

This term, I brought you the NATO Secretary General and others. As
President, I'll give you top speakers and hot debates.

Always working harder, always aiming higher, let's make next Michaelmas the
best term yet.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dswersky

FOR SENIOR OFFICER:

ALYSON THOMPSON

I will bring together internationally renowned public figures as well as
experts in their fields to produce animated and thought provoking meetings.

I will use the prestige of the Cambridge Union to its full extent in gettin=
the best, most high profile speakers that other societies cannot provide.

I will give you a diversity of speakers and use forums to discuss topical
issues with panels of experts and celebrities.

Finally, I will use my position to make the Union as open and transparent a=
possible, keeping speaker dinners open to all and pushing for broader
changes to the society.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dthompson

RICHARD MAGRATH

Michaelmas is always the most high-profile term at the Union, and if electe=
I would use my experience to ensure that the Union gets speakers exciting
enough to draw in new members, as well as entertaining the current members.
My experience is of being Director of Communications this term and the two
terms spent on External Committee.  The latter saw me do everything from
hovering the Chamber, to looking after the Mayor of Hartlepool, to finding
Quentin Blake some pencils!  I would also re-establish the historic
connection between the S. O. and the library, and I would reform and update
the stewarding system.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dmagrath

FOR TREASURER:

ALI AL-ANSARI

Having worked in an investment bank, an accountancy firm and a political
charity organisation, I have the skills that will greatly aid my role as
treasurer to bring in sponsors through persuasion and negotiation.

If elected, I will also push for a dramatic reduction in membership fees fo=
all those who are unable to afford it. This will enhance diversification,
and bring to the union a wave of students from another side of the politica=
and economic spectrum.

Finally, I will diligently pursue graduate employers for greater sponsorshi=
deals through sponsored debates, for example.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dal-ansari

LUKE PEARCE

Since joining in Michaelmas I have demonstrated tireless enthusiasm and
dedication to all aspects of Union Society life. This term I have gained
valuable experience as a House Committee member and College Secretary. I
serve as treasurer of a large Cambridge society where I have succeeded in
boosting funds by 125%. Long term planning and fundraising are needed to
secure the Union's future; as treasurer I would be actively involved in
development. My work experience includes design and advertising as well as
retailing. Vote for the individual who will do the best job for you.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dpearce

FOR ENTERTAINMENT'S OFFICER:

ZAHRA KHAN

I will?

Infuse atmosphere into Union ents: salsa nights with judges, coaches,
dancing and prizes; Arabian nights with Sheesha and belly-dancers; moody
jazz nights with smoke-machines, black lights and cocktails?

Integrate the Union into student life: "Speed Introductions" for freshers i=
Michaelmas, a Union pub crawl, outsourcing the building to student societie=
for art exhibitions, fencing, fashion shows?

Keep the good stuff: wine and cheese tastings, free Ben and Jerry=92s, quiz=
zes
but also make ents bigger through creative sponsorship drives and better
publicity.

The Union has great potential to put on top ents ? I will make them happen.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dkhan

JAMES KANIMBA

<No statement submitted>

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dkanimba

FOR EXTERNAL COMMITTEE:

NICK HARTMAN

As a college secretary and member of the President's Committee representing
Darwin, I have voiced the concerns of fellow members, helped distribute
publicity materials, and volunteered to steward at Union events. Previously=
,
I've spent days on end holed up in a ship in the Pacific in the name of
science, sung backup in concert for a hit recording star, and now I'm askin=
for you to elect me to the External Committee. Why? Because as a member of
the leadership team I will strive to make the Union, YOUR Union, a memorabl=
place to be during your time in Cambridge!

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dhartman

MICHAEL JACOBSON

If I am elected I intend to ensure members make more of the union and its
excellent facilities. I would be ready to listen to their suggestions and
complaints and will act upon them with all my ability. I intend to serve
under my officers with diligence and determination. I am a committed team
player and gained extensive experience of teamwork during my gap year while
working for a financial firm.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Djacobson

STUART SMITH

Before arriving at Cambridge my experience of the Cambridge Union had been
limited to competitive debating. Over the past two terms I have seen how
important the Union is to the university and how many excellent
opportunities it provides. As such, I am very keen to get involved and give
something back to the Union. I am certain that I have the time and the
enthusiasm to meet all the requirements of a place on the external committe=
and, if elected, pledge to perform my duties with absolute commitment.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dsmiths

MIKE MORLEY

I have served on External Committee for the last four terms, and am now
seeking a record-breaking fifth term. I will be serving the Union as
Director of IT for the next year.

You know me, you know I will be here and do my job. There=92s nothing more =
can say to encourage you.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dmorley

RUPERT MYERS

The union has, is, and will be many things to many people. Over the brief
span of my involvement on House & External committees, hours leaning at the
bar, and in those unforgettable moments debating in the chamber it has been
a place of real spirit. It is a beautiful, charismatic building. With just =
little bit of help & encouragement, it can continue to be so much more.

Your vote rightly matters, and it is with great respect for the members of
the society that I ask to be elected to the external committee.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dmyers

RAHUL NANDKISHORE

I am already deeply involved in the union, both in competitive debating and
in Thursday debates.  I have been to almost every Thursday debate this and
last term, and many of you probably remember some of my floor speeches and
questions.  I wish to give something back to the union, to help maintain it
as an organisation of the highest quality, and in particular to maintain an=
improve the quality of the Thursday debates.  I believe I can contribute
positively to the management of the union, to be benefit of all its wide
membership.  May the best candidates win.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dnandkishore

HARSHA PERERA

As an institution that has hosted debates which have challenged my beliefs
and the way I think, the Cambridge Union is very appealing to me. As a
College Secretary, I have already put in a lot of effort and played an
active role at the Union throughout this term where, despite not being on
committee, I have volunteered to steward on a number of occasions. I am
passionate about everything I do, and in my endeavour to further involve
myself in the Union as a member of the external committee, I humbly request
your vote!

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dperera

PAUL POWLESLAND

I really enjoy all the things the Union does and have decided that I want t=
get more involved and ensure that the Union continues to be as successful a=
it currently is. As a college secretary and someone who helps out at the
Union regularly, I know how the Union works and what tasks need to be done.
I am also hard working and can be relied upon to get things done. I am
enthusiastic and friendly and can work with others to ensure that you can
get as much as possible out of the Union next term.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dpowlesland

RAHUL STANCHINA

Hi! Let me introduce myself. I am Rahul Stanchina, a first year economist.

I am vying for a position on the external committee, for which your vote
would be greatly appreciated. I've been a college secretary, but would like
to move to the external committee because my involvement with the Union has
been really enjoyable so far and I would like to continue and extend it.

The committee is a great opportunity to help make the Union better - for a
start, I'm hoping to improve organisation during events, which could mean
people opening doors for you!

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dstanchina

MATTHEW JAMISON

I wish to be involved with The Union, and I am confident that I will make a
positive contribution to the External Committee, having served on it before
in Easter term 2004.

I know the workings of the Union inside out and I am hard-working, as well
as being dedicated to the Union, and will perform all duties, and other
activities . In committees, I am enthusiastic and always have ideas to solv=
any problem. I will be a key member on the committee, and will act, not jus=
talk.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Djamison

PETER CUI

I to wish assist in the running of The Union and serve my fellow members;
and make a contribution as a member of the External Committee. As well as
being absolutely committed to the Union, I am also diligent, and I shall
perform all duties, and other activities besides, to the best of my ability=
.
Besides being enthusiastic and friendly, I am also a great team-player. I=
=92m
determined to achieve success in all that I do, and work well especially
under pressure. I shall endeavour to be a key committee member, one of
action, not merely rhetoric.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dcui

SHEHERYAR KABRAJI

The members of External Committee play a vital role in the efficient runnin=
of the Cambridge Union. Whether stewarding at bops or tallying up voting
counts at debates, conscientious and attentive members of External Committe=
ensure that all events go off smoothly.

As a member of External Committee in Lent 2005, I have served as fire
marshal at numerous debates and ents to ensure that the Union complied with
fire safety regulations.

I will always perform my duties meticulously and responsibly, no matter wha=
the size or importance of an event.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dkabraji

ED HOLMES

Instead of the usual stuff about experience and ambitions, I=92d just like =
take this opportunity to urge anyone bored/interested/crazy enough to be
reading this to actually vote in these elections (and for that matter, in
all elections). I=92ve never understood why turnout is always so pitifully
low: you=92ve paid your eighty quid, you may as well come on down on Monday
and take your pick of the people wanting to run the place.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dholmes

JAMES GOODING

I'm a second year at King's and in all the time I've been in Cambridge, I
believe I have missed only one debate, so I can promise my commitment to th=
Union.  I really enjoy the debates in particular and I think it's great to
be able to hear directly from people involved in the issues at hand.  The
Union is a very special place to be, and if elected to External Committee I
will be able to help ensure that the Union runs smoothly, and continues to
attract the most interesting speakers around.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dgooding

FOR HOUSE COMMITTEE:

AIDAN PARKER

I want to be more involved with The Union, and I am confident that I will
make a positive contribution to the House Committee.

I regularly attended Union events and wish to promote events of both
debating and other natures. I am committed to contributing but also being a
representative for other members.

I believe that I will be ideally suited to this job with my experience of
how committees are run as a member of my JCR and having experienced many
sides of committee roles while at school. I work well in a group but can
also take the initiative.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dparker

NATASHA ANDERS

I am passionate about working in the Union, improving it and sharing ideas.

I am currently a College Secretary, which has given me invaluable experienc=
for House Committee. I have learnt a lot about how the Union works and woul=
love to be a bigger part of this process. I am always willing to contribute=
,
whatever job it may be, and am approachable, friendly and enjoy working
effectively individually and in a team. I pledge to make people more aware
of what the Union=92s facilities and to steward effectively. I am dedicated=
making all events as enjoyable as possible.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Danders

EMMA HUGHES

I want to do everything I can to make sure that the Cambridge Union is the
best it possibly can be. A position on House Committee would be a fantastic
way to give something back to a society that does so much for its members.
On a more practical level, I have worked as a cloakroom attendant and
steward during Friday night bops at the Union this term, and regularly
attended debates. I even did a floor speech once although, in true blonde
fashion, it didn=92t make much sense.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dhughes

BARNABY LEVY

The major challenge facing the Union is making it more accessible. The Unio=
does give members the chance to hear interesting and important speakers and
although this traditional focus should remain at the heart of the Union,
more could be done to encourage engagement. Efforts to broaden the scope of
participatory debating should be increased, and provision should be made fo=
members who, like me, often have time to kill in town between supervisions
and appointments. People should feel comfortable to drop into the Union at
any time of day to read the papers and relax.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dlevy

JADE SIMPSON

To me the Union is the one central venue where all students can gather.
Here we can expand our horizons and express views in a friendly arena
through debate and discussion. I will pursue my vision of the Union as a
cultural centre by improving the bar area and other under-used facilities
such as the snooker room. I am  already a College Secretary for the Union,
which means that I put up posters, help with stewarding and give the
Officers valuable feedback on your views.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dsimpson

BERENIKA STEFANSKA

I am confident that I will stand up to the expectations laid on a House
Committee member, not least because of my previous experience as college
secretary for Pembroke.

I have been fire trained and You might have already seen me stewarding for
You at the debates.

I am friendly, enthusiastic and talkative and I believe that those qualitie=
will enable me to make a valuable contribution to the life of the Union.

I wish to get even more involved in the Union activities as I believe it
needs active, creative and responsible people to run smoothly. And that's
me.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dstefanska

MICHAEL MOUNT

>From the very first debate that I attended at the Union I was impressed by
the atmosphere of friendliness and hospitality. This was subsequently
reinforced by my attendance at the debating workshops and by speaking with
committee members. I will help in the process of building on these
foundations to make the Union even more welcoming to new students. The Unio=
should be a place where everyone can feel comfortable, and it should also b=
a place everyone can feel proud to belong to.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dmount

ALASTAIR HEGARTY

I am running for a position on the Cambridge Union House Committee, a
position that will allow me to become more involved in the Union as well as
debating. After two terms in Cambridge I understand how the Union operates
and will be able to bring my knowledge and experience to make it run more
smoothly. I also believe I will be able to increase participation in the
Union by being a member of the House Committee. Therefore I am standing for
this position next term.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dhegarty

ROSALIND EARIS

A second year Classicist, I am currently a college secretary for Pembroke
and I frequently support the speeches, debates and bops, both as a member o=
the audience and as a steward. I would like to be further involved in the
Union, and I know I have a lot to contribute to the House Committee: I am
hard-working, can take the initiative and am keen to look for new ideas to
bring to the society. I can work well in a team and am sure that I can make
a positive contribution to maintain and improve the Cambridge Union.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dearis

TIMOTHY ANGLISS

I=92ve got four simple aims which I want to achieve, if you chose to elect =
me:

Ensure that members enjoy Union events by providing reliable stewarding.
Make sure the Union remains the vibrant society that it has been over recen=
terms.
Provide an approachable point of contact to allow members to comment and
improve the Union.
Ensure that the link from colleges and members to Standing Committee is
two-way, and that member input really does allow the Union to change and
evolve.

I hope you, the members, give me the opportunity to achieve all this and
more.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dangliss

CHARLES KAYE

I am a motivated, approachable, and enthusiastic person. I am always willin=
to volunteer to help out in a wide range of activities, from the more publi=
events, to helping behind-the-scenes. I regularly attend debates and events=
.
I have  experience in organizing events from serving on the committee of th=
Trinity Political Society. I would like to see an animated, fun, and
informative environment at the Union. More than anything, I want to turn th=
desires and needs of members into actual developments.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dkaye

DAVID SMITH

I'm a hard worker who has fresh ideas about taking the Union forward over
the coming years. I=92m very keen on assisting with communication and
development.

After joining the Union in Michaelmas, I've attended almost every debate,
and will be a reliable steward at future events. I have lots of experience
on councils, and at school was chair of the sixth form committee.

Teamwork and commitment are attributes the Union values. Friends comment on
my likeability and persistence: these are qualities that I will bring to th=
Union if elected.

Your vote is important in securing the Union=92s future development.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dsmithd

KATIE HARRIES

I believe that I have the characteristics and skills to be an asset to the
Union team.

I am a highly motivated and energetic SPS student, with strong interpersona=
and communication skills and a dedication to working hard and playing hard.
I thrive in a creative environment and enjoy debate and constant challenge.
I am an effective team worker and team leader, with a positive outlook on
work and life.

I believe that I can make a positive contribution to the House Committee an=
the Union as a whole, performing all duties to the best of my ability.

http://www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt05/index.php?c=3Dharries

That's all of them. Please come to Hustings at 5pm tonight if you can and=
=20
vote any time between 8am and 9pm tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Alasdair

president@cambridge-union.org