Last I left the pack, I needed to finish the front piece before I could close up the main body. I added plenty of haul loops so attaching trekking poles, climbing helmets, etc. shouldn’t be a problem.
Next step was to sew up the body. Very exciting as it now is truly a function pack!
There were still a few more things to finish off, most notably putting on the collar and roll closure. I felt bad about not using the orange grosgrain I bought so I added two haul loops for a possible water bladder sleeve.
The collar is from left-over ripstop nylon from the G4 pack.
The collar was pretty much the last major step. I still needed to attach the roll closures on the sides of the pack. Definitely should have done this before I attached the side pieces. Stitching that far down on the pack was difficult and I ended up catching extraneous fabric on both side. Fortunately the seam ripper works very well.
So that’s it! I’m pretty happy with the end result with the exception of the pockets which are very tight against the pack. It may be that the sleeping bag is filling it a bit too much or so.
Next step is to seal all the seams. I’m hoping that I can get away without a liner or cover as all these fabrics are waterproof. Then again, I did put a lot of holes all over!
I’m also going to start making a pair of rain pants, so stay tuned.