Sadly, this ambition has seen him betrayed, maimed, imprisoned, driven temporarily insane and most recently to find his home invaded and friends horribly murdered.
All in all, he is more than a little angry.
First seen in Grantabrugge in the winter of 1291, Blake disappeared suddenly from the city following a tense conversation with his servant, Dot Sylke, in which she confessed to being a priestess of the god he hates above all others and that her family had been manipulating the Du Pres' for generations into following their abominable deity. Sparing her only because she was pregnant, Blake rushed off with the intention of confronting the rest of his family. He re-appeared late in the winter of 1293, dressed in rags, maimed and raving. Meredith took him in and helped heal the wounds that were slowly killing him. Then Galwyn put together enough clues from Blake's insane ravings to work out who he was and set his mind on the road to recovery as well.
Formerly a wealthy noble and claiming to be the heir to the Du Pres Estate west of Grantabrugge (near Eely), Blake had originally come to the city with Dot to reclaim his family home and restore their name. The previous head of the family and numerous other relatives had been killed for Sordanism, then the whole family attainted- meaning their lands and titles were forfeit. However, Blake saw an opportunity in the seccession of Grantabrugge, as the Lord Protector of the city now had the power to dictate whether the DuPres? estates (those in the vicinity of Grantabrugge at least) could be returned to them.
This all went suspiciously well at first, despite occasional accusations of being a Sordanite/Outlaw?/Masked? Vigilante. Which were clearly all baseless lies. The Sordanites just happen to have the best gentleman's club with the finest brandy, and those criminal charges obviously do not apply here. Oh, and that vigilante chappie Blackthorn just bears an unusual resemblance. He is probably Blake's long lost brother. Glad we could clear all that up.
"Of course, I did call myself a Sordanite when I was 15 or so, but who doesn't at that age? It is just something you do to upset your parents and get girls. People need to stop getting worked up about these things."
Recently, Blake has been more open about his real views and true loathing of Sordanism. Consequences of which are still unfolding.
We meme business...
1. Your character is being announced at the Royal Ball by the most pompous, enthusiastic and long-winded Master of Ceremonies in recorded history. What do they declaim?
Either "Blake Du Pres, attainted lord to the manor of Eely" or "Who was that masked man?"
2. Give a 6-word backstory and/or history for your character, prior to their entering play - it is needed for the character bio on the back cover of this season's DVD.
"The dark knight returns."
3. However improbable it may seem, your character just won a boasting competition. What was their winning boast?
"Most people would consider losing a hand to be a disadvantage. In my case it is merely a way to give you a sporting chance."
4. Your character loses a hand irrevocably, and is given the opportunity to have something grafted on to replace it. What do they pick?
"I have lost use of a hand, in case you had not noticed. Now, stop delaying the inevitable and draw steel."
5. What one impossible thing would you most like to have, be, or be able to do, in order to better physrep your character?
To be capable of consistently creating witty quips while fighting. Preferably including awful puns.
6. Your character is asked by their immediate superior which one thing they would choose to save from their dwelling, were it on fire. Sensing that a flippant answer is not called for, how do they instead answer?
"Save the innocents!"
7. Your character was abducted by Nightmares (or local equivalent) on the way out of the Arms, and wakes up in a sack (just as armed as they left the pub). What do they have in their pockets, and what one further thing do they wish they had also picked up from home this morning?
"I know that right is on my side- I could ask for nothing more. Now, let's get out of here and rescue the girl." So I guess he could wish for a girl to rescue.
8. Your character's life is flashing before their eyes. Describe briefly any two of the following: Leaving their childhood home. Losing their first love. The first time they killed. The first time they lost a comrade. Another occasion on which they nearly died. A time they lowered their standards. A time they abandoned hope. Something that terrified them
"I abandoned my home when I realised that the whole family was corrupted by villainy. I left my first love with it, not wanting to risk having a legitimate heir who would suffer the same cursed blood. Since then I have fought all manner of creatures but never killed a mortal man or woman.
"Nocta Lebbeck killed herself in Atlantis, but she was hardly what I'd call a comrade. The first time I have ever lost someone I thought a close ally, they betrayed me and should have died for their crimes had they not had an innocent life to hide behind. Only now do I really know what it feels like to lose a true ally and it is far more painful than mere betrayal."
10. Your character was obliged to leave town. As they fled, they left messages with a trusted friend. Most of them dealt with religious and social obligations, and put in place provision for their return (or otherwise) - but they found time for one quick personal note. Who is it to, and roughly what does it say?
"My enemy, whoever you may be, do not consider this to be over."