Adorno and Empirical Sociology

Neil McLaughlin nmclaugh at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:14:26 -0400 (EDT)

Thank you Claus, for a very thoughtful account of your Adorno agenda.

A broader theory of society than sociological theory is an important goal,
and you clearly are approaching this with seriousness, insight and hard
work.

I have to admit scepticism again that an Adorno inspired empirical
sociology will work out, but ultimately the proof will be in what you
produce out of this. There is no way, of course, to say in advance what
you will come up with in the larger project.
For me, scholars often do what the sociologist Charles Camic has called
"predecessor selection" where thinkers from the past are choosen as
inspiration and citation for present work based on a variety of
non-intellectual factors.  This is not a criticism - intellectual life
works this way.
Good luck with your project.

I guess I would make three points.

First, I see a big difference between "grounded theory" and what Adorno
does.  Adorno knew what he thought about a variety of cultural, political
and artistic questions before he did his research, something that goes
against the ideas of grounded theory as I understand them.
He really does not seem the type to do research, and then say, "hey, I
guess I was wrong about the enlightenment" based on empirical evidence of
any kind, as far as I can see.
I have made this point in a piece I wrote on the American sociologist
Davie Riesman, called "Critical Theory Meets America: Riesman, Fromm and
the Frankfurt School" in the journal The American Sociologist sometime in
2001.

Second, I would look at the role Erich Fromm played in the early
Authoritarian Personality study and the later work he did in Social
Character in a Mexican Village before making too many claims for the
originally of Adorno's methods.
See the work of Bonss on this, as well as
http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/cjscopy/articles/mclaughlin.html

Thirdly, Robert Alford's The Craft of Inquiry (oxford, 1998) will give you
a nice summary as well as an original argument regarding thinking about
the theory/method connection in sociology today...

Good luck with your exciting work..

Neil mclaughlin

Neil G. McLaughlin     			KTH-620
Associate Professor			McMaster University
Department of Sociology			Hamilton, Ontario
E-mail: nmclaugh@mcmaster.ca		L8S 4M4
Phone (905) 525-9140 Ext. 23611		Canada