[Union] Cambridge Union:the week

S.J. Pobereskin sjp80 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 3 22:11:24 GMT 2006

Dear Members,

We reach the penultimate week of Lent Term 2006 at the Union! This week we
have our termly elections following Hustings on Monday, Tony Juniper (an
Executive Director of Friends of the Earth), Veuve Cliquot Tasting and
fabulous Art debate...

This week:

Mon 6th: *MBM and Election Hustings, followed by voting for 2hrs

Mon 6th: Belly Dancing continues...

Tues 7th: *Union Elections Day

Weds 8th: *Speaker Tony Juniper

Weds 8th: *Veuve Cliquot Champagne Tasting

Thurs 9th: *Art Debate

Sat 10th: Poker Continues

------------ Monday 6th MBM 5pm, followed by Election Hustings -----------

MBMs are the highest body of the Union and are where the Constitution can
be changed and where officers, decisions and policies may be held to
account. Come and find out how the Union Constitution is being developed,
modernised and improved. The agenda for the MBM can be found on our website
www.cambridge-union.org

The MBM is followed by Hustings where all Election candidates make speeches
and answer questions from members. Here is your chance to see what the
candidates are really offering!

**voting will take place for 2 hours following the Hustings

---------------- Monday 6th Belly Dancing continues... -----------

8-9.30pm, Bar extension

Free for members, £3 for non-members

Raqs Sharqi (also known as Belly dance, Egyptian dance, Middle Eastern
dance, Arabic dance) is a beautiful way to keep fit and have fun, using the
whole body - and the heart!

Raqs Sharqi is an ancient, dynamic and varied dance form that uses every
single muscle in the body to create and convey the myriads of feelings
inside. But above all, it's good, clean fun. No experience is necessary and
no need to pre-book classes. Wear comfortable clothing, and something to
tie around your hips.

------------------ *Election Day* Voting 8am - 9pm -------------------

This is your opportunity to choose who runs your Union! Come to the Union
between 8am and 9pm WITH YOUR UNION CARD and college ID, to vote on the
candidates in this term's election.

**Manifestos will be up in the lobby and are also on the website at
www.cambridge-union.org/elections-lt06

**100 word statement by candidates are copied at the bottom of this e-mail.

------------------ Weds 8th Speaker Tony Juniper 6pm -----------------------

'Threshold or Fresh Hope? Is there real cause for concern about climate
change?'

Tony Juniper is the Executive Director of Friends of the Earth England,
Wales and Northern Ireland. For the last five years he has been the Vice
Chair of Friends of the Earth International, the global federation of 68
International Friends of the Earth organisations. Very experienced in this
field, and having played a prominent role in many high-profile campaigns,
Tony offers a real insight into the very topical and significant issue of
climate change.

----------- Weds 8th Veuve Cliquot Champagne Tasting 7.30pm ------------

7.30pm, Dining Room

Free for members

Places are limited and allocation is on first come, first served. So either
book on the website or email ents at cambridge-union.org to reserve your
space.

Tonight, Veuve Clicquot brings champagne tasting the Union - an evening
that promises sophistication and elegance. Tasters will have the
opportunity to taste a range of Veuve Clicquot's collection, including
their Yellow Label, La Grande Dame, Demi Sec, Rose Reserve and other
vintage wines.

--------------- Thursday 9th 8pm ART Debate --------------------------

This week we bring together experts from the world of art - amongst others,
famous TV personality Loyd Grossman, the Chief Executive of Arts Council
England Peter Hewitt and the artist Roger Ackland debate what the role of
art should be today. A high-profile line-up, and a highly fought over
question for all interested in the art world.

'This house believes that the role of the artist is to change the world'

Proposition:

John Gordon: Founder of Xtreme Information

Peter Hewitt: Chief Executive, Arts Council England

Loyd Grossman: TV presenter, champion of British museums and the Arts

Opposition:

Dolan Cummings: Research and Editorial Director, Institute of Ideas

Ed Ho: Former Union Entertainments Officer

Roger Ackling: Artist

--------------- Saturday 11th Poker Tournaments continue ... -------------

2pm-midnight, Kennedy Room

Free for members, £3 for non-members

Poker is the latest craze emanating from across the Atlantic and the Union
is proud to bring you "No Limit Texas Hold'em" in all its glory. Weekly
tournaments and ring games in a fun and friendly atmosphere.

I wish all Election candidates the best of luck! I hope to see many of you
at the Union this week,

very best wishes,
Sarah

*** ELECTION CANDIDATES - 100 word Statements ***

FOR PRESIDENT

Luke Pearce

Michaelmas 2006 should be the term that the Union establishes itself as a
topical, vibrant and fun centre of debate for ALL students: a term that we
remember for the rest of our lives. I'm committed to opening up the Union
so that ordinary members can always feel welcome. I've collected contact
details for every leading UK politician; I'll liaise with foreign
embassies, get speakers from the Edinburgh Fringe and invite the U.S.
presidential candidates. As a hard-working and friendly individual, I can
improve the Union's image and make it a thriving intellectual society at
the centre of student life.

Mike Morely

If elected to serve as President, I promise to work as hard as I can to
bring you the biggest names and best events I possibly can, including: The
President's Winter Ball; Round-table Discussions; and the usual fare of
exciting debates. I have 8 consecutive terms of experience working hard to
make the Union as good as it can be, most recently as Director of IT. I
would work to bring Alumni back to the Union and to continue to recruit new
members. Beyond all of this, I would work to make your Union a Union that
Exceeds All Expectations

Charles Kaye

I want to unlock the untapped potential of your Union. My experience as
Senior Officer would be invaluable in providing you with the first rate
speakers that make great debates. I would bring imagination and impetus to
our Long Term Development Aims, and stress the importance of investment in
the building and relations with alumni. I am committed to a greater level
of interaction between the different levels of committees and colleges. I
would strive wholeheartedly to put on a wide range of events, as I take the
Union's purpose to be delivering entertainment and value to all its
members.

FOR SENIOR OFFICER

Berenika Stefanska

Hello! My name is Berenika and I'm from Pembroke. I've been involved with
the Union for a while now (3 times on committees and as the Director of
Communications) and this UNBEATABLE EXPERIENCE has given me thorough
knowledge of how the Union is run. I intend to focus on inviting more
INTERNATIONAL speakers, including HEADS OF STATE. In-depth research into
speakers, monitoring of the international visits calendar and cooperation
with embassies make this feasible. I'll introduce new meeting formats, such
as speakers interviewed by top journalists; teas with speakers and
book-launches. I'll also campaign for RECYCLING in the bar.

Rob Cumming

The Union exists for its members. It's your society. Sadly it doesn't
always seem that way. Too many people involved today seem to lose sight of
this as they get embroiled in the world of hacking and electioneering. As
Senior Officer, I pledge to provide a term of engaging speakers and will
never be afraid to shy away from difficult situations. It's time the Union
was given back to its members and it's time all members got full value for
their membership fee. I promise you I will work harder than anyone to
achieve that. We need a breath of fresh air and a great set of speakers for
the new year. My hard-work will achieve this.

Putting members back at the heart of your union. Breath of fresh air: It's
Cumming

FOR ENTERTAINMENTS OFFICER

Elena Narozanski

I've served on Committee and enthusiastically helped out whenever needed,
even after the end of my term. Using the experience I gained as chair of my
school Prom committee and my two-year tenure as PA to an interior designer,
I feel I have the ability to organise successful and fun Ents, and make
inexpensive, effective aesthetic improvements to the bar. Apart from
maintaining old favourites, some of the new Ents I'd like to organise
include: Comedy Nights (recruiting hot new comedians from the Fringe)
Cheese and Wine tastings and
working towards bringing back the Union Winter
Ball!

Richard Fryers

If elected I shall devote my time to make the Union's ents and bops as good
as its other events. To achieve this I will organise the first President's
Winter Ball and a plethora of events at the start of term, including two
main Fresher's bops. I shall also restart the Union's film society to show
challenging and interesting films. I will maintain the successful events
from this year, such as the tastings, quizzes and dancing classes, but I
shall seek to diversify these to include a greater number of members'
tastes.

I promise hard work, enthusiasm and results

FOR TREASURER

Ali Al-Ansari

Over the past term, I have served the Union as an enthusiastic member of
External Committee. The Union has the potential to flourish financially. My
positive attitude and commitment to the Union, coupled with the skills and
knowledge I gained from my experience working for a charity organisation,
UBS Investment Bank and KPMG Financial Services, will help me make a real
difference as Treasurer. My goals are to target high net worth individuals,
meet graduate employers personally, foster and maintain our relationship
with Alumni, and most importantly find a significant contribution to our
Society over a contracted number of years.

Li Yan

I love the Union, and want it to be an organisation of we are not only
satisfied, but proud. I have loved serving on House committee and as
College secretary, but I want to give back even more. I am wholly dedicated
to the position of Treasurer and will work tirelessly to ensure that
Treasurer's Treats is bigger and better than ever before and continue to
develop relationships with potential sponsors to work towards a longer-term
sponsorship deal. Please vote for whom you wish to run your Union and I
hope that I will be amongst them.

FOR EXTERNAL COMMITTEE

Tim EC Jarvis

Team-player
Experienced
Committed
Jovial
Approachable
Really devoted
Very hard-working
Innovative
Supportive

Vote Tim for EXPERIENCE and ENTHUSIASM!

Ed Blain

As the associate editor of a major student newspaper, I'm aware of the
importance of organisation and teamwork. I have experience working in bars,
and am able to work at bops, help with event organisation and assist the
officers. As a student journalist, and as part of my involvement with
political societies, I have persuaded several high profile figures to speak
or give interviews. These include David BLUNKETT, Boris JOHNSON, David
FROST, Michael FRAYN and George GALLOWAY. I hope to do the same for the
Union, and to act as an intermediary between you, the members, and the
officers.

Will Wearden

As a reliable College Secretary, I've helped promote the Union and
encourage greater participation. I frequently attend the debates, and can
always be seen in the bar afterwards! I've attended several Members'
Business Meetings and have learnt quite a bit about the workings of the
Union. The knowledge I've gained will enable me to help officers with their
duties and work towards improving organisation. I know how to pour a good
pint, having had experience working in a bar. My service will be quicker
and smoother. I promise to help the President and the elected officers with
a memorable term.

James Robinson

I implore all of you to vote in this election not specifically because I
want you to vote for me but because it is only by turning out and voting
that the Union can become more democratic and hence work harder for the
benefit of its members. However, if elected I would, among other things,
like to see both the piano and the Chamber Clock renovated. I also would
lobby for the reinstatement of the Round Table discussions and for more
access to the Junior and Senior Officers to make the Union more accountable
once elections have ended.

Kelly Agathos

Serving on the Union's External Committee this term was extremely
rewarding. I want to continue to help the officers, steward at debates and
bops and most importantly, listen to YOU. I believe that listening to
constructive criticism from members is extremely important. I'd also like
to discuss what sort of speakers and debates you would like to come and
see, because the Union ultimately exists for the benefit of its members.
I'm experienced (having been on both Union and college committees),
dedicated, enthusiastic, and determined to help you enjoy what the Union
has to offer!

Michael Dangerfield

After a term on Committee, I hope use my experience working for the UN,
dedication and belief in this society to continue to serve our union. I'll
not only continue to aid officers, prepare the union for events and help
out at debates and ents, but support and encourage those who feel strongly
about current issues, reform and improvement to actively share their ideas
with us. Help elect me and I'll continue to both work hard for this society
and provide a friendly and welcoming face, to all those who enter our
doors, and ensure that this remains your Union.

Hamish Gordon

Why vote for me? · I have already served a term on House Committee. In the
Chamber, behind the bar, or at a computer doing admin, I have already shown
that I am prepared to work very hard to ensure that the Union gets more
funds, more members and more events to interest and entertain every member
more often. · I would particularly like to help find sponsorship next term,
to give our members value for their membership fees. · I will also campaign
for the building to be refurbished and help to improve the bar.

Francesca Lewis

Do you want someone experienced, enthusiastic and reliable on the External
Committee? You'll have seen me helping out at the Union throughout this
term. My experience working on the committees of various political
societies will be useful. The Union is important to me; I want to ensure
that members enjoy themselves whenever they come here. Everyone should make
the most of it. It should be a central forum for all students to debate,
see and hear people, or just have a drink. I'll always be there to help the
officers, steward, and serve you cocktails - just give me a chance!

FOR HOUSE COMMITTEE

Bart Smit Duijzentkunst

Reliability, responsibility, teamwork: these are the key skills that I know
are needed, after my experiences both as a president of a debating society
and as a Union college secretary. As a candidate for House Committee I wish
to add one other aspect: openness to all the Society's members. Of course,
it is important to work on the big ideas and the revolutionary plans. As a
member of the House Committee, however, I will focus on the primary role of
the Union in our student community: to be an open and accessible forum for
all of its members.

Tom Muir

Since becoming a member I've strived to serve the Union in whatever
capacity I can. I now feel able to work on a more integral basis. My
experience as a College Secretary and on school councils has given me
skills of reliability and organisation that will be extremely useful on the
House Committee. I'm often seen at the Union and am determined to maintain
high standards and work for improvement. I'm friendly, efficient, and am
committed to promoting member involvement and making the Union work best
for ordinary students. Vote for progress and commitment: Tom Muir for House
Committee.

Oyin Anubi

I'm running for House Committee because I want to dedicate my time and
energy to the promotion and improvement of the Union as an open and
inclusive society for all of its members. I'm involved as a College
Secretary, voicing the opinions of other members and helping with
publicity. I also enjoy competitive debating and have represented Cambridge
at Inter-University Competitions in Newcastle, Birmingham and Durham. I'm
keen to foster the link between this area and the management of the
society, and to help members get the most from their membership by
encouraging attendance at debates, speaker meetings and ents.

Seema Yasmin

As Press Secretary, I gained extensive coverage for the Union in both local
and national press, including the BBC. It's vital that we develop a
positive relationship with the media: I've achieved this and worked towards
improving the Union's image. You may also have seen me helping out behind
the bar, at college secretary meetings and stewarding at events. I have a
reputation as someone who's dependable, enthusiastic and always ready to
help out. I've proven my dedication and efficiency, and want to continue to
work for a friendly and inclusive atmosphere at the Union. Best wishes,
Seema.

[elided upon request, 2008/10/19]

I see no reason why the Union should not aim to play more of a role in the
average student's life. This society should really be a centre of
intellectual discussion for students at Cambridge. Vital to the popularity
of any organisation is that it appears open and welcoming. I feel that it
is the responsibility of the Committees to ensure that all members feel
that they get good value from their membership. I want to make it as easy
as possible for members to get involved with their society, and will always
raise their concerns with the Union's officers.

Gregory, Matt
(no statement submitted)

James Wallis

Having been fortunate enough to serve on House Committee this term, I know
what the job entails and have learnt a lot about how the Union works. I'm
keen to maintain and improve the facilities, greet members with a smile,
listen and act upon members' ideas and generally make the Union an
enjoyable place. The Society could not function without you, the members,
and it's vital that you're made to feel as welcome as possible. I have
experience in a cadet force and working for an historical events company,
and have demonstrated the sort responsibility and commitment that'll be
useful.

Katie Newbury

When you come to the Union for debates and other events, you want to be
welcomed by a friendly face that is eager to help and committed to her
duties. By serving on House Committee I would like to help make this
possible. I want people to attend and enjoy Union events as much as
possible and I am willing to dedicate myself to make this possible.
Ultimately I believe that the Union should do all it can to be at its best
for its members and I believe I would be competent at helping to make this
possible.

Lucy Whitehouse

The Cambridge Union is known for its vibrancy and prestige, I would like to
join the House Committee to help continue the outstanding contribution it
makes to student life. As a lively and friendly person, I would love the
chance to welcome students and visitors, and maintain the Union's exciting
and intellectually stimulating atmosphere. As Pembroke's June Event
sponsorship officer, I have gained experience of organising events and
teamwork. If elected, I would work hard to liase between members and
committee, safely steward at events and continue to make Union members
proud to belong.

Matthew Jarvis

I enjoy contributing regularly to debates and take the Union very
seriously. But the whole membership should be able to feel that there's
something here for them. Importantly, I actually want to hear what you have
to say and want to get your ideas across to make a real positive
difference. Among other ideas, I want emergency debate motions always to be
included on the order paper. I have much volunteering experience and
appreciate the dedication required. It's all about teamwork, organisation
and commitment. Let me sit on the House Committee and I will stand up for
the members.

Roland Foxcroft

Whether debating in the chamber, reading in the library or relaxing in the
bar, I've been to the Union every week of my time in Cambridge. I've tried
my best to give a little back: I kept my college in touch as a College
Secretary and stewarded regularly at events. I'll be in Cambridge over the
Easter break and propose gathering volunteers to paint upstairs rooms. I'd
like to campaign for a more reflective society, and would design a survey
to find out what members really think. The Union is a great place; it could
be so much better.

Stephanie Tang

I want to make this YOUR union with an ever-present smile to make your time
at this institution as exciting as possible. My love for intellectual
challenges and meeting new people are sure to fit in well. I have extensive
experience of Model UN conferences and am a former Gold-Medallist debater;
I was also the founding Editor-in-Chief of a major Cambridge magazine.
Allow me to welcome you to the Easter term events and listen to your views
on how to make the Union a diverse and open forum of debate for the
members. For a fresh new face, vote Stephanie!

Ostrowski, Igor

I want to put my enthusiasm and commitment to work for the benefit of the
Society and its Members as well as to contribute in making the debates and
speeches run smoothly.

I will make sure the Union is even more enjoyable and stimulating, so that
the Members will want to visit it even more often.

I have some great new ideas (and necessary skills) to organise fantastic
bops and events. In addition my Land Economy degree leaves me plenty of
time to engage in the life of the Society. I've also done a bartender
course and will greatly enjoy working in the Union Bar.

Merav Leviten

I believe that for a society to thrive it must remain dynamic by ensuring
the involvement of all its members. As a House Committee member, I see my
main role as ensuring the ongoing success of the Union by raising awareness
of the excellent facilities it has to offer and promoting its events and
debates throughout the university. I'm enthusiastic and energetic, and I
generally believe that I'm an approachable person, and could successfully
relay the views of Union members to the Committee. I want to push for more
controversial debates, more effective fundraising, and an all round
friendlier place

Hannah Rix

The Union works best when everyone's talking about it and wants to go
there. To create this sort of atmosphere is not easy, but it's certainly
worth aiming for. As a member of the House Committee I would use my
experience as a sixth form student representative, my work for a corporate
entertainment company and most importantly my passion and enthusiasm for
the Union to attract more members and encourage improvements to the
Society. I'll be a friendly face at events and will make sure that ordinary
members' concerns are heard. Please vote for your Union.