From Peterhouse Chapel Choir
'...a stunning performance...' E-Luminate Trail of Light 2015
'... an incredible sound...' Canterbury Cathedral
The Peterhouse Chapel Choir is a friendly and diverse group drawn from the undergraduate body of the College and beyond. The Choir consists of about sixteen selectively chosen mixed voices who receive exhibitions or scholarships.
While the time commitment is relatively low, the Choir's musical standards are consistently high. Because the Choir is relatively small, for singers it represents an unparalleled opportunity to play a vital role in a tight-knit ensemble. The Organ Scholars work very closely with the choristers, many of whom go on to cathedral choral scholarships or postgraduate vocal studies.
Choral Evensong is sung twice weekly during Full Term, on Wednesdays (at 6.30pm) and Sundays (at 6pm). Choral Eucharist is sung once a term at a 6pm service of Corporate Communion. The Choir also sings grace in hall for the four annual College Feasts. Rehearsals are held before each service at 5pm during the week and at 4.30pm on Sundays, and on Fridays from 5pm-7pm. After every service and rehearsal each member of the Choir may dine at Formal Hall without charge, as well as attending College Feasts and its own yearly dinner. All choristers receive free singing lessons from top professional coaches four times per term.
The Choir regularly sings Evensong in Cathedrals across the UK - generally three or four times every year. The most recent trips have taken them to St. Edmundsbury, Ely, Bristol, Bath Abbey, Gloucester and Canterbury, and in April 2010 the Choir had the privilege of making its first visit to sing Evensong in Westminster Abbey.
The Choir tours regularly to some of the finest destinations in Europe and beyond. Recently, tours have flown the Choir to such contrasting destinations as Edinburgh, Venice, Latvia, Tuscany and Provence and Andalucia. The summer 2015 tour will be to Reykjavik, Iceland. All such trips are generously subsidised by the College, which is extremely supportive towards the Choir and Organ Scholars.The Chapel was consecrated in 1632 (during the reign of Charles I), and architecturally represents a hybrid style of Gothic and Renaissance with a rare and valuable example of Laudian stained glass at the east end. The Chapel Organ was built by Snetzler in 1765, rebuilt by Hill in the late 19th century and was restored during the 1960s. The Chapel has an thriving and active tradition of prayer, music and devotion, and is consistently well-attended. Visiting preachers are invited to preach at Evensong on Sundays and come from a wide range of Christian traditions.