Minutes of the 2006 AGM
8pm, Wednesday 10th May 2006, St Johns MCR
Luke Johnson, Francisco Hoi, Bethan Shaffery.
Minutes of last meeting
Minutes of the last AGM were accepted as accurate records.
Jon Clarke: "CUVC has grown over the past five years from a small minority university sports club into a large, well-run organisation. This process was initiated by a few people who saw that the club could offer more to the student population than a platform for playing Blues sport. This season the club has maintained these goals, continuing to deliver volleyball at all levels, to all communities within the university. Each year the club has instigated new events and teams, and these have been continued; this year the club has run indoor cuppers, outdoor leagues, 6s cuppers and 2s cuppers for college teams, as well as running the usual university teams. The Blues teams again had well organised campaigns, although not as successful for the womens team, both had their memorable victories and continue to rank in the top 8 in the UK. The second teams competed again and were provided with the facilities to train and play in local leagues. A new initiative, UCCmixed, became the beginners team this season and was coached on a rota basis by the Blues squads. The website is the core for the club organisation and still continues to run without problems, and financially the club was able to recoup its running buffer for the start of next season and will be able to add to the teams assets with new training balls. I would like to thank all of the outgoing organisers and committee for their dedication this year".
Steve Sarkozy: Steve reported that the Mens Blues had a large turnover of personel at the start of the season but were dedicated to training and this paid off with a 3rd place league finish in BUSA, winning the KO round in the Northern Extremes of Manchester and losing a close fought semi-final to the eventual BUSA champions. Down sides were losing the Varsity and a low finish in the EVA Cup, but 7 players were returning for next year and the squad still had the Beach Student Cup, Holland tour and Italy trip to look forward to this year. Steve thanked Jack, Jean and the Women's Blues.
Helen MacIntyre: Helen reported that the squad only had 4 returning players this season and numbers and dedication to training had been disappointing. The non-eligibility of a number of strong players selected for the squad, and the loss of two players at vital times in the season meant that the core squad was small, although the commitment was good. The team started well but trailed off at the end of the season, losing the Varsity and placing 6th and 8th in EVA and BUSA respectively. Helen thanked Jon and Steve.
Andreas Werner: Andreas reported that the UCCM squad was well attended this season, not doing as well in the local league as previous years, but that this was due to a policy of getting all the players some match experience. The final placing was 5th. There was quite a turnover of players during the season and training sessions had large and small numbers attending on different weeks. The team came close to qualification at the EVA qualifiers, having a close battle with Exeter. All the players enjoyed the season, with many coming back next year. The team had 3 coaches; Jim, Sam and Phil, and Andreas also thanked last years captain, Will.
Julia Lasserre: Julia handed the captaincy over to Claire at the end of the season and so gave the report. UCCW were a very positive group this season and enjoyed a good social atmosphere. Julia thanked Steve for his coaching and reported that the team were more organised and had made technical improvements as players. Julia suggested that as there was not much level difference between UCCW and UCCmixed, that the future of the team should be discussed - either to merge or become more competitive. Discussion followed after which it was decided to keep the team format and adjust to the requests of the players by coaching decisions and the possibility of entering a new womens league.
Stephanie Harper: Steph reported that UCCmixed started the season again as a new team and progresssed well through the season with the Blues coaching. The team won a match in the local league and a number of sets in other matches. Steph left with a personal note by saying that UCCmixed was a very social group of players and that she hoped it would continue in its role of getting new players involved with volleyball.
Jack Willis: Jack reported that he wished that there was some handover from the previous year as he seemed to be thrown in at the deep end with trying to organise Indoor Cuppers and didnt really know what he was doing. He aims to make this easier for next years organiser! Jack also said that to date the events were running smoothly and the summer leagues were underway and results were on the website. He also suggested that the club might like to think about expanding these events to make 4 indoor tournaments next year and also maybe a bbq after the summer cuppers event.
Junior Treasurer's Report
David Cottingham: (to be included)
Allocations for teams 2006-7
At a pre-AGM committee meeting it was decided that the following teams, competitions, training times and coaching would be used for the next season:
- Women's Blues - 1 training session (Perse), fitness session, entering BUSA, Student Cup (qualifiers) and Varsity, coached by Jon Clarke
- Men's Blues - 1 training session (Perse), entering BUSA, Student Cup (finals) and Varsity, coached by Jean Jacquet
- UCCW - 1 training session (Kelsey Kerridge), fitness session, entering CVA womens league and Student Cup (qualifiers), coached by Steve Sarkozy and Tjonnie Li
- UCCM - 1 training session (Kelsey Kerridge or elsewhere), entering Cambs Div1 South, Spring Cup, Walton Shield and Student Cup (qualifiers), coached by Francisco Hoi
- UCCmixed (beginners/social team) - 1 training session (Kelsey Kerridge), entering local league, coached by Helen MacIntyre
- Club President - post not filled (Jon Clarke acting)
- Senior Treasurer - Jim Mc Elwaine
- Junior Treasurer - Noreen Gervasi
- Events and Cuppers Organiser - Claire Nichols
- Web Master - Dan Escott
- PR Officer - Helen MacIntyre
- Equipment Organiser - Jane Ding
- Bookings Secretary - Francisco Hoi
- Communications Officer - Steve Sarkozy
Announcement of 2006-7 Captains
- Women's Blues - Bethan Shaffery
- Men's Blues - Steve Sarkozy
- UCCW - Claire Nichols
- UCCM - Andreas Werner
- UCCMixed - Fiona Parker
- Honourary Lifetime Member status. Steve Sarkozy proposed a classification of this status to people that had made outstanding contributions to the organisation of the club. Nominees would need to be proposed and seconded and voted at an AGM or meeting at which the club could vote. Section 5 of the club constitution would be amended to include this class of member (for which no fee would be paid). Voting - unanimous.
- Alumni developments. Steve and Helen reported that they had been starting to organise the club to engage the alumni members. A suggestion was made that the PR role would also include writing and sending a newsletter. Vote - unanimous.
Meeting closed 9.45pm.