UNIVERSITY MATHEMATICAL LABORATORY, CAMBRIDGE
NOTES OF A MEETING HELD ON 29/9/66 TO DISCUSS THE
Present: MVW, DWB, DFH, AGF, DB, PRR.
- It was agreed to work towards a Mark 1 system suitable for limited
release outside the group. This system will provide limited
facilities, but in a "palatable" form. No guarantee of onward
compatibility will be made, but files created when using Mark 1 will
be useable in future Marks.
- PD15 was agreed in principle. Further points for discussion are
- Warning of forcible log-out, and mechanism thereof.
- Whether off-line jobs can attach themselves to consoles.
DWB will produce a paper describing an initial system, after
discussion with interested parties in the group.
- It was agreed that the only extension required to the file system
was extra commands, in particular to print dictionary and change
status. It was noted that the filemaster already provides necessary
mechanisms. (see P.D. 14).
- DWB's proposals for the command switching program were agreed. It
was noted that they coincide more or less with DFH's new command
switching program. DFH will produce a paper describing his program.
- It was agreed to use the escape character mechanism for erasing
last character/line on Teletypes.
It was agreed that "erase last character" should be recursive.
It was agreed that on Teletypes a non-printing key should be used
to generate a record-separator.
Points for discussion are
- Whether a non-printing key should be used to generate a fault (as
ALTMODE presently does).
- What to do with other non-printing keys, e.g. TAB, VT.
With these exceptions, PD17 was
- Outstanding points for discussion at the next meeting are
- Special faults.
30 September 1966
Copyright © 1966 University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory.
Distributed by permission. Thanks to Barry Landy, Roger Needham and
David Hartley for giving permission to distribute these documents.
Thanks to Barry Landy for lending me the paper document from which
this was scanned. Any typographical errors probably arose in the
course of OCR.
Return to TITAN Miscellaneous Documents
Return to CUCPS TITAN page
Return to CUCPS home page
Return to University of Cambridge home page
Contact: CUCPS Committee
This HTML version last updated: $Date: 1999/06/15 16:40:30 $